Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Up the Road to Rutgers

What an amazing couple of days! It was my distinct privilege to attend the two Cal Women's Basketball games at Princeton and Rutgers. The game last night was special not just because we were playing the #6 team in the country but because it reinforced for me the feeling that the women's game is a completely different experience from the men's game.

Being fortunate enough to work at Princeton U., I headed out of work and up Route 1 about 30 minutes to New Brunswick. There I met my personal lifeline to Cal Sports, Judi where we had a lovely and authentically greasy pizza dinner. Judi had helped to arrange for complementary ticket to both games, because of her major Bear Backer status. Tonight we sat right behind the Cal bench in the second row. A new experience for me being able to hear the words and see the emotion of the players and the coaches up close. Brought a whole new dimension to the game for me.

The game itself was amazing. Cal went up quickly 6-0 then was down just as quickly 30-17. At 15:00 to go in the 2nd half we were up by 1 and it was close from there on out. Final score Rutgers 56, Cal 51. We had our opportunities but Rutgers in an extremely physical team that will capitalize on your mistakes. A lot of pushing, shoving, holding, grabbing, no-calls by the refs, lame calls on us. Home court advantage, I guess. They also had about 3,000 fans in attendance vs our 50 or so. Not like Saturday at Princeton!

After the game, we met the team and hung out for about an hour. While this was an emotional loss, it really prepares them for the level of competition in the Pac-10 and hopefully beyond. I was so impressed by every player and coach I spoke with. Sincere and engaging, great ambassadors for Cal and women's sports. Coach Boyle mentioned that six of their games will be broadcast on Comcast and/or Fox this season. Channel 264 in Philly, if you have digital cable with the Sports Package. Well worth it!

Well, now less than three weeks until the Armed Forces Bowl. Hey, it ain't roses, but I am happy to be watching Cal playing anywhere on December 31! Let me know if you want to come over to my place and watch in HD.

Go Bears!

No comments: